Flintknapping Basics: 01 Safety Rules
Flintknapping Volume 1 DVD
Bernard Ginelli explains, step by step how to knap the following tools:
- Dihedral burin
- Livre de beurre blade core
- Laurel leaf
THEMES OF THE PAGE:
» Flintknapping [30 pages]
» Technique [17 pages]
safety & deontology
Each flint or obsidian flake is sharper than a scalpel !
• Protect your hands with heavy duty gloves if you manipulate big blocks
• Protect your eyes (and those of the ones watching you)
• Do NOT let children play or touche the flakes. Fully grind the edges of the flakes you may give to them
Flint dust can be dangerous for your lungs
• Flint dust is made of microscopic razors: knap in a well ventilated room.. or better: oustide.
Respect and deontology
Respect the prehistoric sites and archaeologists work
• Never knap on or next to a prehistoric site. Do not let your waste flakes in the nature.
• Do not throw a missed or broken tool. Do not burry it either.
• Take your waste flakes to a junkyard, put them in the appropriate container.
Identify your tools
• Use a diamond grinder to carve your signature (letter, symbol) so your work can be later identified as yours.. and as a modern replica, not a genuine tool.
Ginellames.fr is mourning
Bernard Ginelli passed out during the night of November 5th, 2018
Fare well pal....